Alfred Hermida at MediaShift has kicked off a series on how schools are teaching digital journalism, starting with the line, “Social media is such a new phenomenon that it is easy for someone to claim to be an expert in the subject.”
Please read the article to get some fascinating tidbits. Here are a few lessons being taught.
- How to use Twitter to enhance beat reporting
- Social media is not another tool to just distribute stories, it’s for conversation
- Social media can help develop story ideas
- Etiquette–as in, don’t blatantly post a message seeking information
- How to evaluate and manage your online reputation
- Online collaboration