Here are a few stories relating to freedom of the press this week.
- Berkeley students get to have press passes–after signing an honor pledge, including maintaining independence from “political and commercial influence.” Discussion here.
- Gitmo relaxes a little–a little–on its press rules. Basically, reporters can report on facts that the public already knows. Thanks, guys. It’s the only bone reporters can get since the Pentagon is planning to further tighten press leaks.
- Good news, Chicago citizen journalists! The city council has broadened the definition of “journalist” in their issuance of press passes.
- Bad news, Chicago videographers.
- Anti-SLAPP. Is it the new savior of journalists (Michael Moore), or is it easily slapped down (John Stossel)?